lynx-dev

lynx-dev slash vs no-slash (was link runaround)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev slash vs no-slash (was link runaround)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:16:27 -0400 (EDT)

990425 Matt Ackerett wrote:
>>  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/  or
>>  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev  as the "right" URL.
>> they are different URLs.
>> They could as well have different content, if the server chooses so.
> So  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/  really means
>  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/index.html , right?
> And  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev literally looks
> for the file "lynx-dev" right?  As much of a UNIX geek as I am,
> I'm running into this problem lately when copying file heirarchies around.
> Tab-completion, which I'm a relatively new user of,
> sometimes puts / on the end to annoying results,
> because instead of copying the folder and its contents,
> it's then copying the contents of the folder to the destination folder.

curiouser'n'curiouser!  on this IRIX 5.3 using csh
i have a subdirectory  arms , containing lurid files re weaponry Worldwide
(up here, we see arms as something governments should severely restrict):
if i enter  arm  then Tab, it completes to  arms/ ;
if i enter  e arms  in an attempt to create a file  arms ,
the editor (a nifty subset of Emacs) starts with the listing of  arms/ .
it seems this flavor of UNIX doesn't expect  arms  &  arms/  to differ.