lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:25:53 +0900 (JST)

> independent of lynx configuration (now all is portable!!!).

Again, no hype, i.e., "!!!", please. Give us a chance, too.

>   I've added support for special URL type - LYNXSETTINGSTATUS. For
> example, to get the status of the setting COLOR, you should use the
> following url: LYNXSETTINGSTATUS://COLOR

Nice. However, if this whole idea is to be useful to the people it is
intended for, the content must be meaningful to _them_.

>    This setting is ignored by current configuration of Lynx. This
>    setting aggregates its values.

So my immediate question is, "why is it ignored?", and "how do I get it
un-ignored, i.e., how do I set it." What does "aggregates its values"
mean?

>    The default value(s) for this setting can not be altered in
>    'userdefs.h' at configuration time.

So, again, just where can it be set? If, as Larry points out, and was
my initial point I hoped someone would drive home, this "functionality"
is for the user who is not in a position to do the compiling and
configuring, then this statement serves no purpose. This user doesn't
know what userdefs.h is, and even if he/she did, it would do him/her no
good. Anyone who has edited userdefs.h knows that fact.

> Here is a default value of this setting:
          ^
"the"?  Anyway, I question the need for spitting out the default.

>   Current value
>
>    Here is a list of values that were aggregated while
> reading configuration files: COLOR:0:lightgray:black
> COLOR:1:brightmagenta:black COLOR:2:green:black COLOR:3:green:black
> COLOR:4:cyan:black COLOR:5:red:black COLOR:6:brightred:black
> COLOR:7:magenta:cyan

Now we are finally getting to the meat. This is what the user wants to
know. The only other thing he/she wants to know is how to change it.

>   Assigment trace
>
>    Here is a trace of files and lines in which this setting was
>    initialized ([1]go here to see a trace for all settings):
>
>    file [2]/usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg 1736=>COLOR:0:lightgray:black
> 1738=>COLOR:1:brightmagenta:black 1740=>COLOR:2:green:black
> 1741=>COLOR:3:green:black 1742=>COLOR:4:cyan:black
> 1743=>COLOR:5:red:black 1744=>COLOR:6:brightred:black
> 1745=>COLOR:7:magenta:cyan

There is no need for both. It is a total waste and only confuses the
issue. Tell your user what his/her color setting is. Then tell him/her
to copy /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg to $HOME, edit lines 1736-1745 (with
the explanation in the default lynx.cfg file in case the installer has
zapped all the comments), and then run lynx with the -cfg option or set
the environmental variable.

> IMO it worth including it in 2.8.2. I tested it extensively.

IMHO unless it is tuned to the end user of the binary who has no
control over the default settings, it is pointless. I mean, the person
who edited lynx.cfg in the first place doesn't need it. Already this
information is readily available through the `=' page. Personally, I
either view it as a localfile:// to be able to edit it, or throw it into
the editor outside of Lynx.

__Henry