lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.25d-cpp.patch.gz
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:57:31 +0900 (JST)

>  The main "functionality" of that patch was providing structured
> description of settings in lynx.cfg with alphabetical and categorized

This could be done better by simply rewriting lynx.cfg in its entirety.
Alphabetical ordering is of marginal benefit. Categorizing by function
is useful. The "functionality" you propose is done quite easily with the
"/" search command available in any editor.

> default values of settings wasn't it's primary purpose, but valuable
> (for somebody) addition.

I'd like to know who that "somebody" is. For some novice users, it could
be a source of confusion and frustration.

>  It's like normal help file. If you don't read it, it doesn't mean
> that it should be removed from distribution.

I am not proposing that the distribution lynx.cfg be removed. Quite
the contrary, I would encourage anyone interested in furthering the
cause of Lynx to go through that file and reorganize it and reword it to
make it more understandable. I am opposed to duplication of content and
forcing the entire 90kB file to be installed on a system. I am opposed
to creeping featurism. Lynx.cfg is a file to be edited and then read by
lynx. Functionality to make those ends easier/faster/more economical are
meaningful. I'd sure hate to evolve into a dinosaur.

__Henry