lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:45:18 -0400 (EDT)

990513 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> 13-May-99 13:33 John Bley wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 May 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>>> i ran into strange behaviour by Lynx faced with non-US URLs yesterday:
>>>   www.uwe.ac.uk/  etc
>>> when i entered these or similar without  http:// ,
>>> Lynx started guessing stupidly: `trying http://www.uwe.ac.uk.com/' .
>>> Lynx seems not to know about country top-level domains:
>> I don't see this behavior (with pre3).
>> Perhaps your DNS was down when you tried this?

no: i was testing a long list of URLs:  .com  etc were ok.

>> this can be corrected: there are settings in  lynx.cfg
>> for which prefixes and suffixes to try.

no: i have a few of those set.
Lynx should NEVER add  .com  to  .uk  or any other country top-domain.
it's obviously an error from the early days,
when most/all URLs were  .com .org  etc
& Lynx was a freenet browser for US colleges.

> Yes, I disable url suffixes guessing in lynx.cfg,
> perhaps  URL_DOMAIN_SUFFIXES:.  if I remember it right.
> Otherwise weird guessing run if I try nonexisting domain.

that's the sledgehammer, certainly,
but again, Lynx should KNOW  .uk .ca .fi .ru  are codes for countries,
which must always be last: it could try inserting eg  .co.uk .
Lynx needs to be given the list of international country codes:
i can provide the list, if anyone wants to do the programming.