lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types

From: Greg Marr
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: resolving weird URL types
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:06:39 -0400

At 08:31 AM 5/14/99 , John Bley wrote:
>On Thu, 13 May 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>
>> And, please, make no assumptions that the qualifier following
>> a "www" is a "middle-ranking domain".  A little probing finds
>> me a site in which the www is immediately followed by the
>> top-level domain name.
>
>To add another voice to the list of concerns about lynx's current url
>parsing: I read http://news.com on a regular basis, but because the
>mid-level domain is "news", lynx parses "news.com" as though I were
>accessing, say, "news.duke.edu" and tries to start an nntp connection.
>
>Perhaps one of the goals for the 2.8.3dev series might be to take a
>survey of how other browsers handle url guessing and incorporate/steal

>the "best" heuristics for lynx.

IE 4/5 don't guess.  However, if you use Ctrl-Enter instead of Enter,
it will add http://www. before what you typed and .com after what you
typed, except when it doesn't.  (That last part is a bug, IMHO, since
whether it does or not seems to be based on things like the phase of
the moon, the alignment of the planets...)

In IE5, if you have address bar searching enabled, and type in ru, it
uses a program at http://auto.search.msn.com/ to find possible matches,
and then displays them and/or selects the most likely one and opens it,
depending on your settings.  The most likely candidate according to
this program is http://www.ru.com which is apparently an ISP in Russia.

--
Greg Marr
address@hidden