lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Alert!: gb2312

From: Mengmeng Zhang
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Alert!: gb2312
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 01:38:23 -0500 (CDT)

> I'm trying to access http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming and i get
> Alert!: gb2312
> and a lot of xit in the dir.
> I presume gb means garbage. Right? Lynx 2.8.2pre4 (slang 1.3.6). Yes, it's
> not a problem
> with Lynx.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the gb there stands for the character set the
page is using, which is GB 2312, the Simplified Chinese character set.
Lynx is probably giving an alert because it is not equipped to handle this
particular character set. As for why such a file would be on Metalab, I
think it's because somebody decided to upload an index.htm to that
directory. Seems like somebody is trying to use it as free web space or
something.

MZhang