lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev tempfile gripes (was REUSE_TEMPFILES)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev tempfile gripes (was REUSE_TEMPFILES)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:39:30 +0900 (JST)

> Let's make it clear please that these are different topics.
[...]
> We were talking about a bug, a problem caused by a change that hasn't

Apologies, and thank you for making things clear.

> There are about three different ways used in the lynx code for
> generating internal 'user-interface pages' (discussed a while ago
> with Leonid).  One of them is creatign a temp file and then reading
> it in using all the existing code for loading local files.
>
> All those pages that are implemented as temp files share the same
> basic mechanism.  There are advantages in treating such pages as,
> more or less, just another local .html file.  One is that you
[...]
> But the advantage *does* apply to the (forms) 'O'ptions page, at
> least in some situations.  You can 'g'oto another page from there
> as from any other page, and the "Options Menu" will then appear
> in the history stack and can be returned to later.  If that seems
> too obscure to deserve consideration, think of invoking HELP from
> within the Options page, which has the same effect.

It's not that it's obscure; it's my aversion to turning a 'user-
interface page' into 'just another local .html file'.  I go to the
Options page (to me it's the Options _Menu_) to change options,
not to do browsing.  I don't expect the page to actually go into
the history stack.  Yes, being able to flip back and forth between
Help/Docs and the menu you're working on is a fine concept.  It's
not the way my mind is set is all.  It's more "natural" for me to
hit 'o' again than 'u'.  (I never change a bunch of options at once,
so losing all my selections doesn't effect me.  If I did make a lot
of changes, I'd save them before proceeding.)

> > BTW, this is exactly the logic I was questioning WRT the temp
> > files left when uncompressing a file.
>
> A different case, temp files for a different purpose.  Therefore
> it is not 'the same logic'.

Perhaps "logic" is the wrong word.  The result I see on my disk area
and what I see Lynx doing (erasing a file just before it creates the
exact same one again) are the same.  Of course, this is because I'm
not using, thinking about?, the Option _Page_ in the "right" way.  I
don't want to go around erasing all my local .html files just because
I viewed them once, that's for sure!  Sorry.  It's just hard for me
understand why these internally created (hardcoded, gettexted and all)
pages have to be treated strictly like other local .html files.

> > really want to put `rm` anywhere in .mailcap"?  I said no, and
>
> Yes, you shouldn't use it in a general .mailcap shared between lynx
> and other applications.  You can use it in VIEWERs used only by > lynx.

Yes.  (And I need to apologize for taking your suggestion out of context.)

> 'That something' doesn't know whether a file handed to it is Lynx's
> 'personal' file - unless you use only viewer commands that are
> hand-crafted for lynx (and in that case, you might just as well put
> the rm in there).

Yes.  That's what I was trying to say, although it was VERY poorly worded.

__Henry