lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev coloring with character-set=utf-8

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev coloring with character-set=utf-8
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:21:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Lynx version 2.8.2rel.1, built on linux-gnulibc1, and configured with
>   ../configure --enable-nls --enable-prettysrc --enable-warnings \
>                --with-included-gettext --with-screen=ncurses
> has the following strange behaviour: When the $HOME/.lynxcfg contains the
> line
>
> character_set=UNICODE (UTF-8)
>
> (I set this parameter through the options screen), then in both xterm and
> Linux console, links are not highlighted in blue any more, and headlines
> are not underlined any more. Only when a link is left via the cursor up/down
> keys, it gets highlighted in blue (was red before).
>
> In other character_set values I tried, all links are highlighted in blue,
> and headlines are underlined.
>
> This occurs in both standard and utf-8 xterm, and with plain ASCII HTML
> pages.
>
> Any idea? It seems that the LYutils.c:highlight function does something
> correctly which the initial screen display does not do correctly.

Can anyone else reproduce this?  I haven't seen anything like it,
but haven't built an ncurses binary without color-style in a while.

Anybody should be able to try it, with 'plain ASCII HTML' no real utf-8
terminal or xterm is required as long as there aren't any &#nnn; or
other &entities; (other than &amp, &lt, &gt, &quot).

As always, check whether $TERM/$TERMINFO points to a correct description.

The following helps under linux to see what lynx actually writes
to the screen:  attach to the running lynx process with

  strace -ewrite -s1000 -p <pid>

from another window or console, then do things in lynx (e.g. ^L, then
cursor down / up) and try to correlate the strace output with what
lynx shows.

   Klaus