lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev non-sticky text inputs

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev non-sticky text inputs
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

address@hidden wrote:

> IMMEDIATELY_EDIT_TEXTFIELDS?
>
> That's long, but "entering" a textfield seems like something only a
> geek would get.  It really has to do whether you are editing it immediately,
> or whether you have to _do_ something to go into editing mode on the field.

How about

EDIT_TEXTFIELD: IMMEDIATE | INVOKED | NO

> >>  Also, when textarea (textinput with multiply lines) is encountered,
> >> user has to activate each line of it separately (seems not too bad).

No!  Yukky!  Very bad!  Textareas are weird enough without help.  If you must
do this, allow additional option above: TEXTAREA
so that textareas become immediately active, but plain fields don't.  This
isn't ideal but is much better than

(move) (move) (activate textarea ln 1) bla bla bla (close textarea ln 1)
(move) (activate textarea ln 2) etc. ad nausea...

> >Could be changed later.  WOuld probably a Good Thing but not straightforward.

My concept of having a popup would be that the textarea field could be
displayed instead as something pretty small (maybe two lines, to make it
obvious it's not a one-liner field) but pop open to something much bigger and
more comfortable to deal with.  (That it would have the same limits as present
seems clear to me, it's just a UI change.)

> Yeah, hopefully you will be able to just arrow over it with one key,
> just like a regular link -- i.e. downarrow gets you to 'editfield selected
> but not editing', downarrow again moves you to the next item..

Yes, this is good.

* Heather