lynx-dev

lynx-dev Forwarded mail....

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev Forwarded mail....
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:23:32 -0500 (CDT)

The below message refers to a problem with honoring or not honoring
the "Personal mail address", please read the previous conversation
under <http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/40/40435.html> - especially
if you are the person responsible for the change of the
NO_ANONYMOUS_EMAIL default...

It seems to me Francesco is right, and the default should have not been
changed.  But I think there was extensive and maybe heated discussion
about this in the past, which I didn't follow, I don't really want to
get into it now.

But whether the default stays as it is or not, something should be done.
- the behavior is inconsistent (sometimes the "personal mail address" is
  used, and sometimes it isn't.  (e.g. mailto: URL as form action vs. as
  link)
- Documentation (including .lynxrc comment) doesn't reflect the change.
  It seems to describe the non-default behavior.
- "Personal mail address" should not be offered on the 'O'ptions screen
  as such if it isn't used as such.

As far as the Debian package is concerned, I see nothing wrong with
the Debian maintainer deviating from the default if he chooses so.
The reason for the lynx-dev default setting (if there is a good one)
may not apply to a Debian package (e.g. assuming all Debian MTAs behave
reasonably.  And hopefully nobody would offer anonymous lynx guest logins
to the world using a binary package without careful examination.).

  Klaus