lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Command line support for numbered form inputs

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Command line support for numbered form inputs
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 12:16:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, John Hawkinson wrote:

> In message <address@hidden>, David Woolley writes:
> >>
> >> I don't believe this is an appropraite discussion for lynx-dev,
> >> so I've dropped it from the cc list.
> >
> >The lynx-dev list policy is to force discussion onto the list by
> >setting the reply-to address.
>
> This is getting far more painful than I intended. For your reference,
> my message which you are quoting,
> <address@hidden>, was not sent to
> lynx-dev by me, and I'm somewhat disturbed that it was forwarded there
> in a non-obvious fashion

I was wondering about that, and thought you must have bcc'd it to lynx-dev
anyway, maybe by mistake.  Anyway, I didn't find the message particularly
off-topic, not more than happens all the time.

> (local MTA logs confirm this, as does
> timestamp-checking). Had my mail been intended for public consumption,
> it would have been somewhat less acerbic.

Maybe somebody 'b'ounced it then - not so nice.  Should at least have
'f'orwarded it in an obvious manner, if he thought it should have gone
to the list.

But since you argue about the text of README yourself, I have to point out
that the current text does say:
   PLEASE use the lynx-dev list, NOT private email to the developers,
   for questions or discussion about Lynx, or contributions of patches.
While it does not explicitly say "do NOT use private email to the
developers for meta-discussions about the list either", I would have
hoped that that the hint was obvious enough.

> >> If what you suggest is policy, please ensure that README is updated,
> >> in the section on patch submission.
> >
> >It's implied policy for any mailing list that people read the list for
> >a week or two or search the archives, even before asking a support
> >question.  This means that they should also be in a position to read
> >any replies without requiring CC copies.
>
> You don't seem to address my point. If the lynx project wishes to
> assert that lynx-dev is not an address for the submission of bug
> reports and feature contributions by non-members, then the PROBLEMS
> section of README should make that clear.

Relax a bit. <address@hidden> *is* an address for the submission of
bug reports, and contributions by non-members are *not* ignored.  Many
many subscribers would prefer that new contributors also subscribe,
but there's nothing mandatory about it.  And no, it is not a
requirement for "being taken seriously", either, although it helps to
show that *you* are "serious".  IOW, I disagree with Philip Webb on
this, as well as with his characterization of [something] as a "club"
(nothing new here).

You don't seem to disagree with David's statement that [people]
"should be be in a position to read ... replies without requiring CC
copies."  Let's benevolently assume that Philip was just trying to
make sure you knew that asking for CC does not guarantee receiving all