lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev stopping when viewing a site

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev stopping when viewing a site
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:27:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 18-Aug-99 07:09 Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > It seems I found the relevant difference that was introduced by your
> > 1999-03-04 reorganization.  [...]
>
> Thanks, that describe a lot.
> I had a feeling that my kludge of NULL
> (to save a space from variable area) instead of real table
> may have some problems - here they are.

Yes, I remember there were others that we found after the change...

Can you remind me what the kludge was good for?  I know that it allows
to add the tableless charsets in arbitrary order (without pre-filling
the LYCharSet_UC[MAXCHARSETS] in LYCharSets.c).  Were there any other
reasons?

> >         ut = UCInfo[UChndl_out].unitable;
> >         if (ut != UC_current_unitable) {
>
> If we change (!isdefault) with (!isdefault && UCInfo[...].unitable != NULL)
> we will probably bypass all calls to dedicated charset's tables
> `conv_uni_to_pc(unicode, 0)' so initialization may not be necessary
> since we only use default table - calls to `conv_uni_to_pc(unicode, 1)'

That gets ugly, several places to change and to check whether all
calls to conv_uni_to_pc(unicode, 0) _and_ to UC_con_set_unimap are
then always skipped...

The UCInfo[] contains info that only makes sense for character sets that
actually have chartrans tables.  For the others we don't really need
any of the stuff that is only put in UCInfo[] but not in LYCharSet_UC[]
and other LYCharSets.c arrays, except perhaps 'trydefault'.  So we
should revert to not putting the specially handled charsets[*] into UCInfo[]
at all, but should create only LYCharSets.c entries for them.  We can
find a better solution for the ordering problem, if that is the only reason
for the kludge.  I don't know whether "Transparent" needs to be handled
specially wrt 'trydefault', or whether all specially handled charsets
can/should fall back if they get so far (to the UCTrans* functions).

Please remind me what "Transparent" _should_ do, in your opinion...
It seems currently "Transparent" is plagued by the same problem as the
CJK charsets.  Behavior depends on whether it is the first one used.

[*] With "specially handled charsets" I mean those for which you have added
macros in UCdomap.h.

> > PS. Please snip your quotes, don't append quoted patches all the time!

Ehm, thanks for quoting this, but did you read it? :)

   Klaus