lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: is there plans to make a Lynx button program?

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: is there plans to make a Lynx button program?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:52:44 -0700 (PDT)

> > I know lynx is a text browser, but is there a possibility that a button
> > program will be started for it.
>
> what is a button program?

I think he means the "buttons" on people's web pages that announce their
support and preference for it. e.g. "Netscape 2.2. Now!" "best viewed with
IE" etc.

If this is indeed what you mean, seek out either Lynx Friendly, or the
Works With Any Browser Campaign.  I like lynx and make sure to be Lynx
Friendly (in terms of code - my site's not wearing a button for it) but
I like the principles expounded by ANy Browser better.  Much as I love lynx
I shouldn't do lynx-isms that actually make the page ugly (or worse, broken)
to other browsers.  (My site does use an open to any browser button)

Intuitively enough the Open To Any Browser campaign can be found at
        http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

Lynx Friendly is at http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~djc/personal/lynxfriend.html
        she also has a cute "lynx now!" button if you feel like being a
        button copycat (foo now!)

Somewhat closer to home, Pages Enhanced For Lynx:
        http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/enhanced_pages.html

Enjoy your textmode surfboard :)

* Heather