lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Keeping browsers from caching

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Keeping browsers from caching
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:39:53 -0400 (EDT)

990910 David Woolley wrote:
>> i need to know of a HTTP header that will make most if not all clients
>> not cache the page into their cache.
> In general, no, because the browser is under the user's control
> & HTTP/HTML is intended to be a tool for user not content provider.
> IE4, in online mode, will revalidate every time if the page is pre-expired.

newspapers are increasingly instructing browsers not to cache stories
& Lynx 2-8-2dev.19 complies, eg a head request from today's Washington Post:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:25:45 GMT
Expires: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:25:46 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache
Set-cookie: RMID=8064a00137d906d0; expires=Fri, 31-Dec-2010 23:59:59 GMT; path=
/; domain=.washingtonpost.com
Connection: close

[PW] if you follow the link again, Lynx seeks it again via the Internet,
which is a regular nuisance: how can I tell Lynx to ignore Cache-Control?

but the original inquirer should presumably set Cache-Control as above.