lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev cache control

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev cache control
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 11:29:25 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Philip Webb wrote:

> 990912 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
> >> i'ld like to be able to say, eg in  lynx.cfg ,
> >>   IGNORE_CACHE_CONTROL:YES
> >> do you have any pointers, comments or suggestions?
> > There should be much more detailed control;
> > just one binary flag doesn't cut it...
>
> -- lengthy commentary snipped --
>
> > Is that enough "pointers, comments or suggestions" for now? :)
>
> certainly enough comment (smile), but no pointers/suggestions AFAIK ...
>
> i'm not interested in expiry dates etc etc,
> simply in getting the news stories which the WP/other sites list:
> eventually fresh stories appear in their indexes
> & meanwhile i assume what they send is the latest they have.
>
> all that takes is the binary flag above:
> I (emphatic) want to tell Lynx to cache ALL documents it receives
> -- i set the limit at  20  -- , regardless of what anyone out there says,
> leaving me the option of  ^r  if i want to get a fresh copy.
> that should be real easy & something many real-life users would prefer,
> so any pointers/suggestions (smile)?

 Here are my thoughts:
Ignoring cache-control in some incarnation can be useful not only for lynx -
so this could be implemented at the proxy level (I don't know, may be squid
already has the features for ignoring cache control, and anyway, any
cache-control ignorance scheme Klaus described (stale time, etc) will be
easier to implement in squid, that already has all means for supporting
expiry date, etc, rather than hacking lynx source.) In order proxy level to
work, it should cache everything according to it's logic, but provide data
with 'no-cache' pragma so that all requests will pass through it.

 But temporary hack like IGNORE_CACHE_CONTROL:YES seems to be useful too
(probably wrapped in conditionals, to be defined controlled by 'configure') if
you don't have enough time.

>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad