lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Additional README File for pre-compiled Lynx (W95) (fwd

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Additional README File for pre-compiled Lynx (W95) (fwd)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:55:31 +0900 (JST)

> > This file was made by Scythe_X.

Really wonderful! We all appreciate the work that went into that.

> The INSTALLATION document should include this data. Win32 users may
> need more focussed help, as INSTALL tends to be heavy into UNIX
> compile

I cannot agree. INSTALLATION, IMO, should remain a document that
Win32 users never see. "Installation" on a multiuser system and
"installation" of a binary on a Windows PC have nothing in common.
The file INSTALLATION was created with the former in mind. More than
"installation" per se, the file is concerned with how to compile
from source, so in that sense it is aimed only at power-users who want
to _compile_ a binary from source, not simply install in the PC sense.

I think pointing Windows users in general to the source tree is a
mistake.

My recommendation, after polishing it up and getting comments and
corrections from Win32 regulars, would be to put a copy under /docs,
something like README.windows. It definitely should be bundled in with
the various Win32 binary packages that compilers put together and offer
to the public (unless of course they have their own README).

__Henry