lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev outgoing_mail_charset (was: megapatch)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev outgoing_mail_charset (was: megapatch)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:40:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > The explanation given in lynx.cfg: there are many d.c.s. possible and
> > (remote)
> > mail agent may not recognize iso-8859-4 or cp866 or other uncommon charsets.
> > Some kind of approximation would not be too bad - lynx have already done the
> > conversion to d.c.s. ("internal" charset) - why not to convert it more if

I think Leonid and I were both only thinking about non-CJK charsets
here.  The OUTGOING_MAIL_CHARSET text in lynx.cfg should probably
say that it isn't fit to transcode CJK-to-anything (as long as that
is the case).  That limitation would also be in place for the mail-body
translation approach we have discussed so far.

> Again, don't know how relevant this is, but FWIW, in lynx.cfg we've got
> #    Japanese (EUC-JP)                  euc-jp
> #    Japanese (Shift_JIS)               shift_jis
> but neither of these is suitable for mailing.  Mail should be in iso-2202-jp,
> which is not listed as a d.c.s.

It is caused by the naive one-to-one  D.C.S. <-> charset  mapping that
underlies all the chartrans stuff.  Since there is no "ISO 2022-JP"
D.C.S. (which wouldn't make sense afaik), there also is not unique
'LYhndl' index for the charset "iso-2202-jp".  I don't know how to
fix this - the simple (naive) one-to-one assumption simplifies a lot
of things.

Maybe we could have an unofficial/hidden "Japanese (ISO 2022)" D.C.S.
that wouldn't show up in the 'O' list.  Maybe the recently added code
for --enable-charset-choice/--with-charsets also has something to
make that easier.

   Klaus