lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: casts

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: casts
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:07:35 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 09:12:16AM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> > I wish you could have "just ignored the messages" from that Borland
> > compiler, or found a switch to turn them off...
>
> Sorry, I sometimes assume compiler authors know more than I do :-)

not always (but I give them the benefit of the doubt - besides they get the
last word)

> > There doesn't seem a point to most of those warnings you are trying
> > to suppress.  Or if there is, then maybe it should be fixed in the
> > header files (e.g., what is BOOL?).
>
> I'd certainly agree to fixing the source of the warnings in a more
> logical fashion.  "BOOL" is short for BOOLEAN; why have both?
> Why not just use TRUE/FALSE? I have no idea...
>
> This could be wiped out of HTUtils.h, leaving just BOOLEAN:
>
> #ifndef BOOL
> #define BOOL BOOLEAN
> #endif

it's two types because (like X windows) the code is nominally using default
type promotion in case someone overlooks a prototype.  The int is used in
function arguments, and the char in data.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden