lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev TRST & centering (was: dev.13 progress...)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev TRST & centering (was: dev.13 progress...)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:54:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | > Right now it seems like any table that is processed by the TRST code,
> | > is centered on the screen (as below).
> |
> | Not really - your second example wasn't.
>
> Heh.  Yeah ... I noticed that just after I sent my prior message.  I was
> thinking about some of the other pages that I'd just been visiting though,
> where the centering seems more gratuitous (1st example below), or might
> make the result *seem* "busier" (or even less well rendered) than the non-
> TRST version (2nd example below, due to the left-justification of (only)
> the "Game Summary/Recap" line).
>
> It's probably more of a case of getting used to "something different", I
> suppose.

Maybe that, or page brokenness that becomes apparent now, or flaws
in the mechanism, or all combined in various ways, differnetly in
different cases.

> OTOH, since TRST-rendering can make quite a difference in the visual
> appearance (at least as great as the difference between SortaSGML and
> TagSoup modes), why not have a bindable command to switch between TRST
> on and off?

Add one, send a patch, if you come to the conclusion that that's called
for...

I'd rather try to make it better (or explain away the differences ;) ).
Adding an easy switch to turn it off would just distract from that...
but that's just my personal opinion.

> A couple more examples, re the above:

Any examples would be even more appreciated if you could look at the
HTML and try to figure out why things are as they are... :)

> >========================================================================<
>
> Linkname: NFL on FOX
>
> ----dev.12----------------------------------------------------------------
[snip]
> ----dev.13----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>    [score_week6.gif] [57][(7)__Week 6_______]
>    [black_line.gif]
>
>    Monday, October 18
>
>    NFC
>
>                          NY Giants 13, Dallas 10
>                       Time         Matchup    Total Details
>                     9:00 p.m.      [58]Dallas  10    Final
>    [59]Game Summary | [60]Recap
>                    [61]NY Giants      13
>
>    Sunday, October 17

You seem to have -tagsoup on?

Try it the other way, sometimes it makes a drastic difference.

   Klaus