lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx browser
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:56:05 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Dave Eaton wrote:
> For text browser users, Lynx *is* pretty "mainstream".  If it were
> preloaded by OEMs, perhaps more people would be likely to use it. <g>

I'm quite sure it must be preloaded on computers now sold with Linux
installed...

> Some of the features for which I rely upon Lynx are: [snipped]

To add to the list:

 *) The HEAD key. (']').

 *) Detailed interactive cookie interface.  Control cookies individually
    or by domain.  Nothing going on behind your back (unless you want
    that).

 *) You can see exactly what's going on between the browsers and (say)
    a Web server, using TRACE (^T) if necessary.  What goes on at the HTTP
    protocol level (headers etc.) doesn't need to be the mysterious secret
    it seems to be to most HTML authors.

 *) Built-in CGI interface (lynxcgi).  Run CGI scripts without a web
    server.

      Klaus