lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev flickering upon first bookmark display

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev flickering upon first bookmark display
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 19:02:11 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I'm not really following this discussion, so this is off topic.. but
> the one case of flicker that *really* gets to me that I unsuccessfully tried
> to figure out way back when when I was actually looking at the lynx code
> (for that bookmark file manipulation code I hope to get back to some decade)
> was this:
>
> I start up with my bookmark file as my start page, and I have multi-bookmarks
> turned on.
>
> The bookmark file draws, THEN the whole screen redraws with:
>    Filepath: lynx_bookmarks.html
>
> inserted at the beginning.

I see... I never knew lynx did this.

Well the double-drawing is only there with partial display on.
(And if the bookmark file is short enough, my recent change discussed
with Leonid should suppress it [when it works right]...)

Using lynx locally (I haven't tried this with a remote one), with ncurses,
I get a rather smooth redraw.  Actually ncurses doesn't really "redraw",
it effectively and cleverly just scrolls the screen contents from the
first refresh down to make space for the added lines.  Of course that
would depend on what curses/slang library you use and on the terminal
description.

> It happens ONLY upon first starting up Lynx, and doesn't happen when switching
> to other bookmark pages.  This is one of the kinds of cosmetic bugs that
> are minor in the overall scheme of things, but drives me nuts.

Working as it does by design, apparently.  Without partial display mode
at least.

> I also just noticed that my fifth bookmark page has NO HEADER at all in it.
> It just shows the 3 links I have there.  I don't know how that happened.
> Maybe I made the file manually and didn't use the multi-bookmark file code
> to create it?

What do you mean with HEADER?  The two
>    Filepath: ...
lines or something else?