lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Options, V.Links, random (was: patch 6 - UI Pages)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Options, V.Links, random (was: patch 6 - UI Pages)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:03:56 -0500 (EST)

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:
>
> > > Relying on rand() for security is really a bad design choice, IMO.
> >
> > otoh, it improved on what was there (addressed the immediate cause for
> > concern).
>
> Yes - slightly, IMO.
>
> > I don't believe that any of us can come up with a completely
> > secure scheme (nor could the critics ;-).
>
> Why not?  (I assume we are talking about temp files; for the Options Menu
> "secret", there really isn't any need for secure secrets to protect against
> "spoofing" from outside.)

for the latter, I changed that just-for-completeness.
temp-files is what we're talking about.

> Not for all situations of course.  For example, if O_CREAT|O_EXCL is
> broken in the underlying filesystem, there isn't much we can do about
> it.  But I am still wondering whether the OpenHiddenFile()/IsOurFile()
> *is* spoof-proof on a sane system (and I admit I have never tried to
> completely understand that code - what with the directory traversal and
> uid check stuff...).  If it isn't secure on a sane system (non-broken
> filesystem etc.), using rand() may just detract from that fact.

I don't see how rand() makes it less secure - it doesn't change the checks,
but makes the selection of names less obvious (obviousness was the point of
the criticism).

> > However, using a sequential name
> > opens us up to criticism from people who don't concern themselves over
> > whether the underlying filesystems itself is secure.
>
> If they are wrong and we are right, we shouldn't listen to them.

easy in principal, hard in practice.

> > Using rand() merely
> > guarantees that the average fool (i.e., "hacker") would not break in.
>
> While the skillful fool still may, I assume.  If he knows at which second
> srand() was called, the sequence of numbers should be completely
> reproduceable.

if

> Btw, I think
>
>     counter = ( 10000.0 * rand() ) / RAND_MAX;
>
> should be
>
>     counter = ( 10000.0 * rand() ) / (RAND_MAX+1.0);
>
> if you always want to have 4 digits or less.

ok

> Using random numbers for temp filenames opens up a small chance, about
> one-in-10000, for name collisions.  Therefore a chance for very

no - we already deal with name collisions (I did check that - it simply
tries the next one on a failure).

> Of course, something like this could also happen with sequential
> numbering, but *only* in a session that is long enough that the counter

or with a session that crashes, or happens to use the same numbers as someone
else.

> can wrap around.  In that case it would be easily predictable and easy
> to diagnose.
>
> If a random number component in the filename is really desired - how
> about using it *in addition* to a straightforward counter.  I.e.,
>    /tmp/L<piddigits>-<randdigits>-<counterdigits>TMP.html

total length was what I looked at - changing the counter to random used the
same length as before.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden