Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.17
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:48:29 -0700

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999, Vlad Harchev (address@hidden) said:
| > I also question even the need to have the "tree style" as a runtime option.
| > It seems sort of like a general preference to me, and not something that
| > one's going to want to change half a dozen times in one lynx session.  How
| > about lynx.cfg?

|  As for this particular feature, I suggest adding another lynx.cfg option -
| VISITED_LINKS_MODE, with values named after choices that appear in popup that
| appears on dev16 lynxes, plus one more, SELECT. So, if anything but SELECT is
| selected, that popup is hidden. The default value for it could be the one
| that matches old behaviour (but I like new one). I could add that I like that
| popup is placed directly at V.L. page (but placing that popup at Options page
| TOO could be useful). Also this popup doesn't really take too much screen
| space  - just 2 lines when inactive, and please remember that current link
| will always denote current document and most probably will be at the bottom
| of that page, so most of the time (if you visited a lot of docs) you won't
| see that popup at all.

Perhaps it's been "fixed" in -dev.17 (I'm running -dev.16 ATT), but ...

When one changes the format setting of the V-page (while viewing the
V-page), and hits the "Accept Changes" button, one counterintuitively
gets a PREV_DOC action (from which one must hit V again, to get back
to the V-page), rather than the expected format change of the V-page
"in situ".  this should be fixed before it is released, IMHO.

|   And I don't think that adding 'configure' option for this is a good choice
| since I'm sure the default will be OFF :). And users could be too
| lazy to recompile lynx in order to try that functionality. If Henry still
| cares so much about extra kilobyte of the code that feature adds, we can
| provide configure switch, but with ON as default (but this will lead to
| unnecessary complication of code - new #ifdefs).

The setting of the default V-page format does NOT seem to be saved in
one's .lynxrc file.  This too, is something that should be fixed before
this feature is "released".  Again, IMHO.