lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Options, V.Links, random (was: patch 6 - UI Pages)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Options, V.Links, random (was: patch 6 - UI Pages)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:40:15 -0500 (EST)

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:
>
> > ( well, _I_ don't listen, but it wastes time when re-convincing other
> > people ;-)
>
> I haven't seen any complaints recently...
( that was a generic comment not specific to this instance ;-)

> Btw., the filename space for the 'straight counter' implementation is *much*
> bigger than the current 'pseudo-random pick out of 10000' implementation.
> You have UINT_MAX possible different names before wraparound occurs.

yes (but 10000 files is also probably larger than anyone would use during one
session, I thought).

> > ugh (I'll look closer: I read the code but didn't go further, to see if
> > the code works as designed: I was reading the do/while loop in LYOpenTemp).
>
> Are you proposing to change the OpenHiddenFile behavior?  I think it's not

only if it's got an apparent flaw (I'm not interested in redesigning it).
If not, the limitation should be better documented.

> necessary, and some stuff may depend on it (although I don't know any
> that does).  If reusing "our" files wasn't indended, why would there be
> an IsOurFile test in OpenHiddenFile at all?

mainly because the original code allowed that case, I think for the case where
it would reopen a file on VMS to avoid creating a new version and wasting
diskspace.

> >     + more than one person has complained that the straightforward sequence
> >       for next-filename is not secure (simply because it provides info).
>
> Could you point to the last time?  (No, I don't count handwaving remarks
> on bugtraq...)

not bugtraq - some comments that I picked up via deja-news a while back.
(perhaps they were quoting, but not the same person iirc).

> >     + is the code that opens temp-filenames working properly when it finds
> >       a collision.
>
> I think the last one is the critical one.  If the answer is YES, the rest
> hardly matters.

well I'll check & see if I think it's working properly.  (It would be not
very good to allow Lynx to overwrite a file made by the current session,
for example ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden