lynx-dev

lynx-dev COOKIE_SAVE_FILE wrong (was: strange behavior in lynx 2.8.3 dev

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev COOKIE_SAVE_FILE wrong (was: strange behavior in lynx 2.8.3 dev 17)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 06:35:10 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> Anyways. lynx compile options page indicates lynx has been compiled with
> persistent cookies.  Lynx.cfg page indicates lynx has persistent_cookies
> set to true.

What does it indicate, if anything, for
   COOKIE_FILE
and
   COOKIE_SAVE_FILE,
and is that what you really have in lynx.cfg?

> Lynx was compiled from a freshly downloaded source tar file
> and fresh configure run.
>
> When I say
> lynx -trace http://mail.yahoo.com/
> today, then I log into mail.yahoo.com and quit, I see:
>
> LYStoreCookies: save cookies to ~/.parms/lynx_cookies on exit
>
> as the last line of ouput.

The '~' should have been expanded at this point, but for some reason
that hasn't happened.  So LYStoreCookies() tries to open a file
literally named "~/.parms/lynx_cookies" which is bound to fail (unless
you happen to have a subdirectory named "~" and witing that a
subdirectory named ".parms").

LYStoreCookies() doesn't give any meaningful trace message about the
failure and just returns.

Brian, any idea what went wrong here?  I haven't traced it, but
the stuff in LYMain.c *looks* right to me.

Larry, you can probably work around the problem by putting the full
expanded name (no '~') in COOKIE_FILE in your lynx.cfg (and possibly
COOKIE_SAVE_FILE) - untested.

   Klaus