lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev a ¿Question?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev a ¿Question?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:48:10 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Eduardo Chappa L. wrote:

> check for new messages. However I found that some subjects contain strange
> characters that are not displayed by lynx. Maybe you'll find some of them
> in the subject of this message, but if you don't see them, this is what
> they look like:
>
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bug_in_Ordered_Subject_sort=3F_=28was_
>
> I could not find any way to transform them into something I could read, is
> it there any way to do it from within lynx?

This looks like the mime "quoted-printable" encoding. Characters
are encoded as the "=" followed by the hex representation of the
character, so "=20" is a space, "=3F" is a question mark, and "=28" is
left parenthesis. If the whole message is encoded, it can be filtered
through "mimencode -q -u" or mimeqp. For just the subject line, manual
conversion is probably the easiest. Normally, I would think that
encoding should only take place if non ASCII characters are present.
                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden