lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: isn't just "404 -- NOT FOUND" sufficient by itself?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: isn't just "404 -- NOT FOUND" sufficient by itself?
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 08:04:28 +0100 (BST)

> Anyway, we should be ABLE to turn OFF the subsequent wait for
> an entire (white) screen saying "site not found" (or whatever it
> does say, I forget, and don't want to ^z this email and fg lynx
> and try it again).

Unless the latest Lynx has inherited a mis-feature from IE5 (so
called friendly error messages) the contents of the not found
screen are generated by the origin server and potentially contain
useful information to clarify the reason for the rejection).  I
consider the IE5 feature a mis-feature because it destroys information.

Another factor to consider, is to the extent that Lynx uses persistent
connection, an aborted read will require a new connection for the
next request to the same site (I'm not sure that Lynx uses persistent
connections yet).

;
;