lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3 with nmh problems
Date: Mon, 8 May 100 05:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

> Okay, here's a partial explanation.  When invoked through nmh, the
> temporary directory's permissions appear to be not 700 but 600, even
> though the strace clearly calls mkdir with mode 700.  Obviously this
> prevents creation of the temporary file.

If someone along the way has set your umask to 0222 or similar (such
as 0200), that would produce this result.  If it's in the environment,
your shell can tell you, otherwise strace would be able to show you
the corresponding system call:

DESCRIPTION
     mkdir() creates a new  directory  named  by  the  path  name
     pointed  to  by path.  The mode of the new directory is ini-
     tialized from mode (see chmod(2) for values of  mode).   The
     protection  part  of  the  mode  argument is modified by the
     process's file creation mask (see umask(2)).

--
Thomas E. Dickey  <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com