lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages

From: Duncan Simpson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables (once again) and virtual lynx pages
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 13:03:55 +0000

FYI my width calculation algorithm is simple: while the table is too wide
decrease then widt of the widest column by one, I find it works well with wide
tables (usually a several narrow columns, that get the width they want and one
or two vast ones whose entries get split into multiple lines). Unless your
screen is very narrow "good" line breaks should be possible.

Microsoft API documentation is formatted this way. The results are very
different than, and IMHO superior to,  proportional shrinking. Being able to
see a whole table, without horizontal scrolling would be the better experience
IMHO. (If others feel differently then let people vote with a setting on the
options menu.)

I am aware that my propsoal might require serious reworking of lynx's
rendering engine but then so wpould horiznotal scrolling. (in fact if one just
set unlimited width in my propsoal then you wouild get the horizontal
scrolling option... however I do not think people wouild actually want to uae
it).
--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is