lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Is Lynx still practical?

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Is Lynx still practical?
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 21:07:42 -0700

On or about 26 May, 2000, pAb-032871
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > Why not tell Lynx to d)ownload PDFs so you can read them offline,
> > or even change your .mime.types file to show;
> >
> > application/x-pdf  pdf
> >
> > and force downloading.
> >
> > Of course, this would only work with a self-standing PDF reader,
> > not if you only have a browser plug-in for this. . .
>
> Thought of something else: if you're running a local copy of Lynx
> -- on your own machine, not from a shell -- you could also define
> your PDF reader as a downloader in lynx.cfg.  It would then show
> up as an option in the download menu.

That's basically what I did--run the file through a filter to
pull out the ascii and pass it to a pager.  It's usable, but not
good, so now I just cut'n'paste the URL into NS.  My principles
are slightly offended, but it's the pragmatic thing to do.  I
telnet into a shell account, so no viewer is directly available
from lynx.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

--
Michael Warner