lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev handling empty value for proxy URLs

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev handling empty value for proxy URLs
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:08:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>    I just wished to know whether that strange behaviour of lynx is definitely
> a bug. It looks like it is, so it should be fixed (lynx should either complain
> about illegal syntax for proxy's URL or shouldn't use proxy then).

Obscure trick of the week:

   http_proxy="" src/lynx http://localhost:3128/http://lynx.browser.org/

instead of

   http_proxy="http://localhost:3128/"; src/lynx http://lynx.browser.org/

allows you to put the proxy as part of the URL (which then of course
isn't really a valid URL any more), so you can test various proxies
for various URLs in one session...

Well, normal URLs won't work in that session (you can 'fix' some of them
up manually, by adding a superfluous slash after the hostname).
And the requests aren't constructed correctly (wrong Host header, so
will fail for many virtual hosting servers).

   Klaus