lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev After Javascript, SVG is New Accessibility Threat.

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Re: lynx-dev After Javascript, SVG is New Accessibility Threat.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:11:09 -0500

        I haven't read this list in several weeks and I just got
back to looking at the messages here to see what is being said
about javascript as it seems like almost overnight half the sites
in the world have stopped working or at least parts of them don't
work any more with lynx.  After reading the thread in late may,
it makes me want to straighten out a horse shoe with my bare
hands, give up computing which I love, and maybe raise chickens
which formerly only interested me when their skins and feathers
were far removed, a coating of barbecue sauce was applied, and
they had the distinct flavor and aroma of a charcoal grill.

        Where is the SVG discussion list?  Not to start a war,
but to learn if there is any way to salvage anything useful.

        As one who is blind and uses a speech synthesizer, I am
also lucky to have a good job.  I could buy a commercial screen
reader for Windows and put up with all the hassle for half the
access of UNIX, but I just don't want to do things that way and
I also want to see information technology freely available to
everybody from developing countries up to those who can afford
anything.  The one thing that might be a ray of hope is the fact
that screens composed totally of graphics have no intelligence
at all.  I like to compare it to the difference between the
difficulty involved in buying a steak from the butcher and then
trying to get a glass of milk by reverse-engineering the DNA
as opposed to simply milking the cow before  hand.

        This is actually a gross step backwards in technology
because the intelligence does not arrive, rather the video does.

        I am reminded of the TI business computers of the early
eighties in which the video for each terminal was generated on
the main chassis and each terminal had an RS-232-style connector
with a video coax cable bundled in to the wiring.  It seemed dumb
at the time, but we're back there again.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group