lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev hidden links

From: Duncan Simpson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev hidden links
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:41:46 +0000

> In "Re: lynx-dev hidden links"
> [19/Jun/2000 Mon 14:32:27]
> Thomas Dickey wrote:

<stiff snipped>

> Ah, thanks for clearing that up.  The "possible exception" thing
> was just a guess, because these things often cost money and I
> thought there might be a little advertising to pay the bills --
> not for profit mind you, but just to break even.  I'm so inured
> to advertising now that these kinds of links are ignored and I
> forget I even saw them immediately [speaking of hidden links. . .].

The word2x and checkps sites (at http://word2x.alcom/co.uk and
checkps.alcom.co.uk, include a credit on the bottom of the front page and I
lidy alcom as spnsprs of word2x (the usual prioce corresponds to roughly $300
per site). The incremental cost is very small, of course. As a psot grad if
anyone wants to pay me then I can use the money...

lynx is higher profui

> > (Jim Spath does, I think, more to maintain the website, but actually there
> > are a number of people who do support for lynx-dev, though they're not
> > visible).
>
> And while we're on the subject; Thank You All!
>

> [pasted-in from my original message, quotes added to avoid confusion]
>
> > > But no-one's stopping you from doing it yourself if it's that
> > > important.  That's why it's called "open-source": if you know
> > > a little about programming you can do whatever you want
> [...]
> On second thought, even if you know absolutely NOTHING about
> programming you can *still* do whatever you want.  However, it
> may produce strange results. . .  ;-)
>

>                         Patrick
>               <mailto:address@hidden>

> > (Jim Spath does, I think, more to maintain the website, but actually there
> > are a number of people who do support for lynx-dev, though they're not
> > visible).
>
> And while we're on the subject; Thank You All!
>

> [pasted-in from my original message, quotes added to avoid confusion]
>
> > > But no-one's stopping you from doing it yourself if it's that
> > > important.  That's why it's called "open-source": if you know
> > > a little about programming you can do whatever you want
> [...]
> On second thought, even if you know absolutely NOTHING about
> programming you can *still* do whatever you want.  However, it
> may produce strange results. . .  ;-)
>

>                         Patrick
>               <mailto:address@hidden>

Providign a free web site to a product like lynx might be attratcive to a
commercial body seeking to generate good vibes in some areas of the internet
community. This wualfies them as a "sponsor" of lynx in fre software databases
and web sites based on them. The marguial cost is tiny and the apparent cost,
as per the rpice list, moderately large.

A few people have put serious money into providing services for free sofwtare,
in particular sourceforge (VA Linux, I think).

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is