lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev cookie incompatibility: what is an ".asp" extension?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev cookie incompatibility: what is an ".asp" extension?
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:27:49 +0100 (BST)

> Am halfway through a book on HTML (O'Reilly's); have maybe
> there been seeing this .asp extension.

Active Server Pages.  It's a facility on Microsoft web servers for
creating web pages on the fly.  It mixes the source HTML  with
scripted sections, normally in VB script, but they can be in Javascript.
>From the browser point of view, it is simply HTML, as the scripts have
been processed and removed (often there is Javascript for the browser,
but this is not the ASP script).

Note that the file extension is supposed to be irrelevant to how the
browser handles the page, and I could configure a Unix server to serve
static web pages with that extension.

The nearest free software equivalent to ASP is PHP.