lynx-dev

lynx-dev Why use copy and not move when saving 'd'ownloaded files?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: lynx-dev Why use copy and not move when saving 'd'ownloaded files?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:16:00 -0300

Hello. Lynx uses copy (syscall or cp(1)?) when 'd'ownloading files.
I'd suggest using move since you can have problems with space. If an
user downloads a big file (>=50mb), why waste time copying it again if
moving it is what the user really wants? I wonder who's going to use
-rw-------    1 fredlwm  fredlwm    57639 Jul 23 10:58 L24560-3304TMP.html
and not
-rw-rw-r--    1 fredlwm  fredlwm    57639 Jul 23 10:58 randim-4.8.tgz

But as you can see, Lynx is copying it. Say I use Lynx to download an
.iso with 500mb and only have 700mb left. What's next? Of course, you
should use EXTERNAL with a tool like GNU Wget, but not all users are
going to configure lynx.cfg.

BTW, it would be nice also if you could save a file with his modified
time and don't be prompted at the Download Options page, but it's for
a later discussion.