lynx-dev

lynx-dev Using other HTML parsers in Lynx

From: Mooneer Salem
Subject: lynx-dev Using other HTML parsers in Lynx
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:30:40 -0700

For fun, I decided to write a library that parses HTML. :)

After writing the library I decided to write a demo application using it
(which prints an English representation of the HTML passed into it and
which also acts as a benchmark app.) According to the demonstration
program, it parsed the PostgreSQL-HOWTO (300kb in HTML format) in
0.16 seconds, which is pretty impressive for a Celeron 500 with 192MB RAM
which also acts as a pretty busy DNS, Web and database server.

Here's the question: how hard would it be to implement this parser into
Lynx?

The parser can be found at
http://devel.usnuk.net/libhtmlparse-0.1-alpha1.tar.gz,
and you can see the uncompressed archive at
http://devel.usnuk.net/libhtmlparse-0.1-alpha1/.
demo/test.c is the benchmark application I ran, while demo/prettyHTML is
another
demo app I wrote for the library (it makes HTML more clear and readable by
adding tabs)

--
Mooneer Salem
Sysadmin, Ultraspeed UK (http://www.ultraspeed.co.uk/)