lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Curses and Resize (again)

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Curses and Resize (again)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:34:45 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:

> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:23:53 -0400
>
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 11:15:31PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > > size_change() doesn't seem to be calling endwin/refresh for the standard
> > That's never been the job of size_change() (the interrupt handler itself).
> > in LYMainLoop.c.  See also the comment after that point.
> ok - I had forgotten where this was done in the code.  (Lynx is doing
> about all that it can do).

First, I must withdraw the patch.  I realize I called unsafe functions in
a signal handler.  (I RTFM rather than learning by experience.  :-)

And it didn't work very well anyway.  And I can find nothing in curses
doc about resizing windows.  So I got a bigger hammer.  Smash the window
entirely and install a new one.  I'm playing with:

In start_curses, replace the initscr() with:

        size_change(0);
        putenv("LINES=...");
        putenv("COLUMNS=...");
        LYscreen=newterm(NULL,stdout,stdin);

and in stop_curses, replace the endwin() with:

        endwin();   /* stop curses */
        delscreen(LYscreen);
        LYscreen = NULL;

It's charmed!  It worked the first try on Solaris, and the second try on
OS/390 (needed to undo one bad conjecture).  I resize the window and
immediately the screen depth adjusts correctly, but the width is still
wrong.  I press ^R and the width adjusts correctly.  And ^L no longer
garbles the screen (may have been a problem I introduced).

Alas, it's Not Ready for Prime time:

o I must study how it fits in the pasta potage of #ifdefs in LYCurses.c

o And I've reintroduced the multiple redraw problem that Klaus has
  struggled with.  Maybe I can solve it as easily as resetting
  recent_sizechange.  I'll work on it some more.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL