lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev RSA is now in the Public Domain

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: lynx-dev RSA is now in the Public Domain
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:49:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>Not being ones to let a PR opportunity slip thru their grubby/greedy
>little paws, RSASEC has released the RSA algorithm to the Public
>Domain a whole TWO WEEKS early.

Sorry to rehash an old topic, but (1) I admit I'm too lazy to go search
the archives (wherever they are), and (2) it may actually be useful to other
new people.

What are the implications of this being public domain (regardless of the two
weeks early) for an SSL-enabled Lynx?

I seem to remember it _doesn't_ solve the problem, but I don't remember
why.  (GPL problems?)