lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problems Downloading from NT to Alpha

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems Downloading from NT to Alpha
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:18:44 -0500

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 03:47:27PM -0500, ANTHONY CAMPIERE wrote:
>     I downloaded the code and build files for Lynx from the Site
> HTTP://WWW.OPENVMS.COMPAQ.COM/FREEWARE/LYNX/  to our NT Server.  I can look

That's version 2.8.1, which is rather old.
The current version of lynx is 2.8.3

It's available at
        http://lynx.browser.org
        ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.3
2.8.4 Development & patches:
        http://lynx.isc.org/current/index.html

(I compiled dev.14 from the latter site w/o problems for the next freeware
cdrom)

> at the code on our NT server by editing the files and it looks ok.  I then
> use FTP to transfer the code from the NT environment to the Alpha.  When I
> edit any of the files on the Alpha, it appears as one long line with
> hard-coded linefeeds (LFs).  I tried compiling one file (the HTString.c

It sounds as if you transferred a Unix source-file in binary mode to VMS.  (The
line-endings aren't compatible).

Try the zip-file (transfer in binary mode) which contains the sources. (Get
unzip, e.g., from the same website if you don't already have it).  There are
more than 400 source-files in Lynx; editing them takes a while.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com