lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Unhiding links

From: mannix
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Unhiding links
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:46:13 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 address@hidden wrote:

> > I apologize if this issue has been addressed before.  I stumbled onto
> > an HTML page using lynx that would not highlight my links.  After
> > observing the HTML, it appears that if you have an HTML tag within
> > an (a href=) statement, the link becomes hidden.  example:

> I replicated the behavior using lynx2.8.4dev.15.  It goes away
> if I remove the "<center>" and "</center>".  I'll let one of
> the HTML lawyers rule on whether it's legal to have <center>
> within an anchor.  Regardless, I consider it poor error recovery
> on Lynx's part not to display the "click me" text as a link.

I agree that it is poor error recovery not to catch such instances,
though placing a CENTER tag inside an A[nchor] tag is both poor
style and disallowed by the HTML 4.01 spec.

I am more concerned that this behavior replicates in cases where
the nested HTML markup involves the FONT tag --

-- as this a common construct in "coloring" links independently
of the LINK attribute to the BODY tag. Does the above example
trigger a similar disappearing act?

- don b.