lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Unzip Programs for VMS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Unzip Programs for VMS
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:23:08 -0500

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 03:27:51PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:08:28 -0500
> >
> > yes.  The problem is that when you download a binary from the net (using a
> > Unix
> > ftp client), it usually doesn't conform to VMS's file format, which is
> > fixed-length, 512 bytes/record.  There's a program (named MFTU) which can be
>
> What's the "TU" stand for?  :-)

according to
        http://www2.wku.edu/scripts/fileserv/fileserv.com
it is
        Mail File Transfer Utility

> > used to convert it, but I've found it simpler to just compile the sources
> > for
> > unzip (there are after all only two directories to get).
> >
> > Your ftp client may have, in addition to ascii and binary modes, an "image"
> > mode - if so, you should download VMS files using that from ftp.wku.edu,
> > and bypass the whole issue.
> >
> I've long suspected that VMS does its best to emulate the
> intractability of MVS.  Hence the similarity of initials.  :-)

I used MVS for a few years in the early 80's (a back-end batch processing
system, with a CMS front-end), and didn't care much for it.  CMS was much
nicer, and went on to VMS shortly thereafter, and didn't think it compared
well with CMS.  But VMS systems generally (from my perspective) are simpler
to get things done on because there're fewer sysadmins to hinder me...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com