lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev stripping trailing spaces from submitted inputs

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev stripping trailing spaces from submitted inputs
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:55:19 +0400 (SAMT)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> >  Hi guys,
> >
> >  Today I found that lynx's always-strip-trailing-spaces-when-sending-inputs
> > behaviour undesired (I had to send a string with trailing space in one form
> > -
> > that string was used as a prefix for mails - it was mailman admin page).
> >  What specs say about stripping trailing spaces?
> >
> >  Anyway, most probably soon there will appear yet another lynx.cfg option
> > named INPUTS_STRIP_TRAILING_SPACES_ON_SUBMIT with default TRUE. What do you
> > think about all this?
>
> I suppose we'll find what the spec says and do that.

 I think the following is most reasonable plan:

 If the spec says to strip trailing spaces: anyway other browsers don't strip
trailing spaces, so there *should* be a lynx settings that forces it not to
strip, independant of what standards says.

 If the spec says not to strip trailing spaces or says nothing: I think we can
just disable trailing space stripping without adding additional setting.

 As for what spec says - it seems HTML4.0 spec says nothing about trailing
space stripping.. May be other versions of the spec are more explicit?
 Anyway, CGIs that care strip trailing spaces theirself IMO - so no problem of
not stripping trailing spaces I think.

> --
> Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden> <address@hidden>
> http://dickey.his.com