lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Home and End Keys Don't Work

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Home and End Keys Don't Work
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:11:19 -0400

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 05:47:37PM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 08:25:13PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > The \E[1~ and \E[4~ versus
> >     \E[H  and \E[F (which you see at the command line)
> > or  \EOH and \EOF (which is the application-mode, in the terminfo)
>
> application mode?

basically, it's whether a function key sends a sequence beginning with \E[,
or with \EO (there are obscure reasons why it's done that way - historical
mostly).

> Oh... keypad...
>
> Ok... keypad home/end works... gray ones don't.

I assume your gray keys are on the 6-key editing keypad (none of mine are gray).

> Is that the expected results?

something like that.  The numeric keypad (789/456/123) and the editing
keypad (insert/home/pageup/delete/end/pagedown) are treated specially.
Though some of them have the same face-codes, they have different X
keysyms, so xterm can distinguish them.

Basically, before X11R6 I think, xterm used to have the numeric keypad
to itself - but someone added the keyboard mapping to make that keypad
send PC-style controls (the home/end/, etc).  But that's not compatible
with vt100/vt220 (a big nuisance if you want to use VMS ;-).  I added
a mode to xterm to make it interpret the keypad like vt100/vt220, but
initially didn't have a good reference for the editing keypad - so some
of the keys were left in PC-style.  Later I added the mode switch to
those keys.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://dickey.his.com