lynx-dev

lynx-dev problem starting Lynx

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev problem starting Lynx
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:27:57 -0400

010621 Bob Bourne wrote to me:

please send all questions to  address@hidden , where everyone will see them.

> In debian [dist: debian 2.2 R3 i386, 3cdset] Lynx gives the message:
>   Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host
> then the screen drops out...
> the annoying thing is that I had it working for a while...
> I have Mozilla running OK with the same general settings
> (Netscrape, no! - but that's another story)...

to test Lynx itself, start with  `lynx .'  (that's a dot),
which should come up with your current directory listing;
to test an Internet connection, use reliable sites,
eg  www.yahoo.com  www.ft.com  www.thestar.ca  www.utoronto.ca .

make sure you are using the latest Lynx 2-8-4pre.1 ,
which you can get from  lynx.isc.org/current/ .

if that doesn't solve your problem, ask again at lynx-dev,
with full details of Lynx version, system, sites you tried to access
& anything else you can think of.