lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Download indicator hogs my bandwidth
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:01:00 -0700

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 03:06:45PM -0700, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> I have read the replies already posted, but none of this makes any
> sense to me. If I understand properly, you claim that the changing
> byte numbers at the bottom of the lynx screen take up most of your 24
> kbps bandwidth when you are just connected by telnet or direct modem
> connection to a linux machine running lynx. This seems impossible. It
> wouldn't even take up most of the bandwidth on a 2400 bps connection.

Perhaps an improper term{cap,lib} is forcing lynx to redraw the entire page
each time the spinner is updated.  I just did a script of a download of a
file that's of 58M.  The typescript file was 11K.  If I trim out all the
non-spinner stuff, it's 4K.

Perhaps if the Pat ran lynx under script, and obtained some numbers there,
we could attack the issue from that view point.

Because, if it IS a bad term{cap,lib} setting, I would expect a performance
issue with more than just lynx.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      address@hidden      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/