lynx-dev

lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.2

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.2
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:25:17 -0400

2001-08-15 (2.8.5dev.2)
* several small fixes to HTFile.c to make directory listings work properly on
  win32, e.g., stat'ing a directory with a trailing slash fails (reported by
  Hataguchi Takeshi) -TD
* adjust definitions in LYCurses.h to get rid of slang-ifdef's for getyx() and
  wmove() -TD
* change order of random and rand48 -DK
* patch to get the DJGPP port to use the configure script -DK
  It seems to work well in the variations I have tried, including both PDCurses
  and SLang.  revised INSTALLATION for DOS, giving a URL for my DOS patch to
  openssl.  I dropped the reference to goto URL of the form
  file:///dev/c/path/filename, since this only works in certain parts of lynx
  (such as lynx.cfg).  I'll try to get this working in the future.  In fixing
  makefile.in, I patched the sed script for converting the path to docdir.  As
  far as I can tell, however, from my examination of lynx.cfg, this isn't used
  for any platform.  Does this part of the sed script do anything?
  Things still needing fixing for DOS:
  + support for both forms of file addressing, [a-zA-Z]:[/\\] and
    /dev/[a-zA-z]/.
  + support for gzipped help files.  This works with long file names in a DOS
    box under Windows, but not in plain DOS, which doesn't allow double
    extensions.
  + better handling of local files in root directory.  "file:///c:/" takes a
    long time to work, but "file:///c:/." works fine.  I haven't really looked
    to see why.
  + no ability to break out of hung nameserver lookups or http requests without
    closing lynx with SIGINT.  This is the biggest complaint I get by email.
* modify ifdef for myGetChar() in LYStrings.c to build with PDCurses 2.3 e.g.,
  to use a version which is modified for Japanese input (patch by Hataguchi
  Takeshi <address@hidden>).
* review LYSafeGets() calls, stripping newlines from a few places where they
  were overlooked, and simplifying some places where LYSafeGets() would
  normally return a buffer ended with a newline (prompted by a report by Brian
  S Queen <address@hidden> for LYTraversal.c) -TD
* correct reallocation-size in ProcessMailcapEntry()
* modify HTLoadHTTP() to omit "Accept-Encoding: gzip" if command-line "-base"
  option is given.  This makes
        lynx -base -source excite.com
  work as expected.  Otherwise, excite.com will transmit the document gzip'd,
  and the ensuing logic in HTSaveToFile() would see the mime-type as gzip
  rather than text/html, and not prepend the base URL (report by Kai Shih
  <address@hidden>) -TD
* work around defect in move_anchors_in_region() and related logic by changing
  default for nested-tables to FALSE when Lynx is not configured for
  color-style.  The problem is that when an anchor is shifted right by
  nested-table logic, if it has a <BR> near the beginning of a table cell and
  it happens to be split across a line, its size will not be adjusted properly
  (report by Hataguchi Takeshi) -TD
* correct logic used for trimming TEXTAREA introduced in 2.8.4pre.3, which did
  not trim carriage-return characters if TRIM_INPUT_FIELDS was false.
  (report by Hataguchi Takeshi <address@hidden>) -TD
* correct a bug in search logic which happens with pages shorter than the
  screen, due to improper starting-line value sent to search function.  Fixed
  by adding checks in www_search_backward() and www_search_foreward(), (report
  by -Frederic L W Meunier) -TD