lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev MSN vs. Opera?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev MSN vs. Opera?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:36:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Philip Webb wrote:

> 011028 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > I've been using Opera in place of Netscape for some sites
> > (though it doesn't do JavaScript afaik, so it can't replace Netscape),
> > and have seen the usual ones which offer to upgrade my browser.
>
> i've given up on Opera, which repeatedly gets lost downloading complex dox.
> Netscape 4.7 is adequate & useful for image-heavy sites,
> but even with my new hi-speed line Lynx remains my browser of choice.
> a text browser gives you large clear consistent type
> & you don't have all the blinking garbage to distract your attention;
> you can also jump around the document with great agility
> & find image URLs hidden in JS using cached prettysource (thanx again VH).

but on linux, netscape has a tendency to blow up (use 99% of the cpu
without recovery, and the couple of snapshots of mozilla which I have
tried don't work much better - so opera it is...).  I ignore the
advertising, of course (it's no worse than going to netscape's homepage,
anyway ;-)

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net