lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Unable to connect to remote host

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Unable to connect to remote host
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:41:56 -0500

At 08:51 AM 2002-02-27 , you wrote:
>Forwarded message from "Echeverria de Miguel, Esperanza"
><address@hidden>:
>
>>hi, i obtain the following results and i'm not know why i can't
>>access to that page, it occurs me with more pages:
>>
>>Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
>>
>>Looking up  <http://www.ivam.es> www.ivam.es first
>>Looking up  <http://www.ivam.es> www.ivam.es
>>Making HTTP connection to  <http://www.ivam.es> www.ivam.es
>>Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
>>
>>lynx: Can't access startfile  <http://www.ivam.es/> http://www.ivam.es/
>>

>>But with other pages lynx works fine, what could be my problem?
>>The network conexion? To access a remote host?
>>
>>esperanza

If some web sites, some http: URLs work well and others give you this error
message it may truly be a problem in the network connectivity with the remote
server.  Or the server could just be busy.

I always recommend setting up a simple local-file start page, or using your
bookmark file as the start page, rather than some remote page.  This way
problems with Lynx itself and problems with the network will show up with
different symptoms, and network problems, which come and go, will not make it
look as though the program is bad.  It's always discouraging when you can't
even get started.

To learn more about what is actually going right and wrong, you can create a
log file with the trace mode.  String-search with '/' for 'trace' in the Lynx
User's Guide for basic instructions on how to use control-T to turn trace mode
on and semicolon (;) to review the log.

If you continue to have problems, there are two things you may do:

If it appears to be the network, you should take the trace log to your network
administration personnel and seek help from them.

If it appears to be Lynx that is causing the problem, please subscribe to
lynx-dev or lynx-dev-contrib as indicated in "About Lynx-dev" in the online
H)elp, and send along your trace log for others to look at.

Al