lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: PO-file for Lynx

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev Re: PO-file for Lynx
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:44:12 -0500

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 10:05:35PM +0000, Giuliano Artico wrote:
> Dear Mr. J.E. Spath,
>
> I found the PO-file for the Lynx French translation text messages, in which
> I believe you cooperated.
>
> I would like to attempt an Italian translation, which does not yet exist.
> However I have not the Gettext software and I don't know how hard it is to
> install and use it.
>
> I wonder if I can operate in the following way:
>
>   take one of the existing PO-files for some language (e.g., the French
>    one) and replace the French phrases with the corresponding Italian
>   translations.
>
> Subsequently, I have to generate the MO-file and, at present time, I do not
> know how this can be done. But this is the last step, I suppose.
>
> Please, can you provide any hints?
> Many thanks in advance for any possible help.
>
> Best regards,
> Giuliano
>
>                                    Giuliano Artico

> Address: Dipartimento di Matematica Pura ed Applicata
>          Via Belzoni 7, I-35131 Padova, Italy
> Phone  : (+39) 049 8275909      FAX: (+39) 049 8758596
> E-Mail : address@hidden   WWW: http://www.arti2000.com
>
> <<non esistono venti favorevoli per chi non sa dove andare>> (Seneca)

Greetings!

  Thanks for volunteering to help with translations for Lynx.  You may
certainly edit the French file if you'd like.  Installing and working
with gettext is not terribly difficult, but takes some work.  I or
others can do the other pieces.  There is a translation project at
UMontreal (see this page:
http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po/registry.cgi?domain=lynx )

  I've uploaded some old pieces I found in my archives to
http://jim.spath.com/lynx-it.zip, which has this:

37947  Defl:N 11613 69% 04-16-98 19:28 79e97dec LYMessages_it.h
34121  Defl:N 10059 71% 02-13-98 05:53 4a9bbc26 LYMessages_en.h
 6325  Defl:N  1960 69% 11-19-98 10:59 587551cf it.po

  The first two are in a format that Lynx started doing translations
with, while the last was my attempt to convert this to the current
method. You might try to locate the editor who worked on the first set
(Sabato De Rosa) for collaboration. You could also register with the
translation project for more help.

------
<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/db/users/net/bcpl/jspath/face.xbm>