Re: lynx-dev support for ill-formed URLs

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: Re: lynx-dev support for ill-formed URLs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 07:54:37 -0800

At 12:51p +0500 04/05/2002, Vlad Harchev didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

 Hi all!

 Just found a bug in lynx - it doesn't understand URLs like this
(it tries to lookup the host with name "").
 Most popular browsers (NN4.x, mozilla and IE) of course support this form of
URLs - they of course treat it as

 I don't really know whether URLs of the former form are valid or not, but it
may be nice to support it since other browsers do.

I think I'd rather see an error message "Invalid URL syntax." :-)